New User Registration
You will be required to complete the following prior to facility access:
- You will need to be added as an animal user to the Animal Use Protocol (AUP) by your principal investigator/supervisor. Please ensure that you have received a copy for review.
- Obtain a fob from your department.
- Complete the EHS Respiratory Protection training and N95 respirator fit-testing. Visit: Respiratory Protection Training and Fit-Testing
- Visit the BSF website, complete and submit the following forms:
- You will be required to complete the following training modules:
- Ethics module (must be completed prior to orientation)
- Species-specific module (i.e. mouse, rat)
- Anesthesia/Surgery module – if you will perform any anesthesia or surgical procedures.
- Containment Level 2 (CL2) module – if you will be working with biological hazards.
- Chemical module – if you will be working with chemicals.
You may register/access at https://dcm.utoronto.ca/training.
*Fish users are required to complete the U of T Fish module. Contact ACC Coordinator for course material.
Read the relevant Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs)
- SOPs provide detailed, step-by-step descriptions/instructions of how to use equipment commonly found in animal facilities or how to perform common experimental techniques and husbandry procedures.
- SOPs are managed by the Animal Ethics & Compliance Unit (AECU), developed with input from facility staff, veterinarians, and research staff, and are reviewed regularly.
- Visit Ethics in Animal Research & Teaching: Repository of SOPs, Guidelines, and Forms – Home (sharepoint.com)
- You will automatically be subscribed to the facility listserv & newsletter. Important information and notices will be shared via the listserv. It is important to read the emails.
- You will receive emails containing important information from the ACC Coordinator. It is important to read all the emails.
- Ensure that you are familiar with and will adhere to U of T’s general COVID-19 prevention measures, self-screen practices, the mask/face covering Policy and Guideline, and any other protocols within your lab and the vivarium.
- Welcome, learn, have fun and remember, the BSF team is here for support.